Bloomington Symphony Orchestra Strategic Plan, 2015–2020
The Bloomington Symphony Orchestra promotes a lifelong appreciation of music through the performance of the orchestral repertoire and outreach to the community in Bloomington and south-central Indiana.
Over the next five years, we will focus on accomplishing the following financial, organizational, and musical goals.
- Increase ticket sales at least 5 percent annually
- Increase the number of large donors
- Increase net gain in donation from small/medium donors
- Consistently monitor and control expenses.
- Develop, track, and retain a strong core audience
- Explore the possibility of establishing an endowment to partially fund the BSO
- Hold board and staff to the highest level of fiduciary responsibility to the wellbeing of the
- Provide clear performance expectations to both board members and staff, a transparent review
process, and an appropriate support system.
- Ensure continuity of high-quality board operations, while also generating consistent turnover in
members and leadership to prevent stagnation.
- Maintain a consistent and transparent process for communication between committees, board,
staff, and orchestra members.
- Monitor board and committee structures and projects for continued relevance to promoting the
mission and effectiveness at supporting operations.
- Continue providing the highest standard of musicianship and performance possible
- Consistently work to recruit and retain an orchestra with complete instrumentation and a
sufficient sub roster to enable performance of most of the orchestral literature
- Utilize section leadership to improve the overall quality of BSO performances by continually
developing the abilities of its individual members
- Consistently recognize the work and contributions of orchestra members and sections
- Increase the visibility of the BSO in the community
- Develop strategic partnerships with other arts organizations and utilize them (and strategic
programming) to reach new audiences
- Strategically increase orchestra outreach (e.g., chamber ensembles) in the community as a
supplement to publicity and reach new audiences
The primary work of reaching these goals is carried out by the following standing Committees of the BSO:
Operations and Development.
Strategic Planning Oversight.
Human Resource Development.
Orchestra Recruitment and Development.